Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's Not Sacriligious to start the Jewish New Year without Chicken Soup!

What says "Jewish Holiday" at mom's house more than a rich chicken soup? Redolent of dill, sweetened with carrots and parsnips, enriched, perhaps, with some flanken in the broth? Add a few matzo balls and my family and friends are in Jewish-mother heaven.

But this year, I'm thinking like the Parsimonious Gourmet, and the PG is thinking thusly: how much meat does a body need to welcome in the New Year? I'm serving a choice between brisket and roast chicken for the main course, and that's far more meat-based protein than I typically serve in an entire month! Do we need the added expense (not to mention saturated fat and calories) of a chicken soup?

The first time that I made a non-chicken soup for a Jewish holiday was a couple of years ago on Pesach. I was tired of serving Emily and Mariah (my vegetarian girls) canned vegetable broth with a matzo ball, while the rest of us dined on rich chicken soup and decided to make an asparagus soup instead. Nobody complained, and my friend Bev even applauded the lighter, more-appropriate-to-Spring first course. Asparagus was in season, so it was fairly inexpensive, and the soup was light, virtually fat-free and 100% delicious.

As I plan my menu for Wednesday night, I'm thinking that my family and friends would enjoy a white bean soup to usher in Rosh Hashana. I already have soaked and cooked white lima beans in the freezer, so on Wednesday afternoon, all I have to do is put the beans in a stock pot and add some water and Osem pareve bouillon powder, or otherwise, some Trader Joe's vegetarian stock. Some carrots and celery are always nice, and the soup will taste even better when I saute some chopped garlic and onion in oil until golden and add it to the stock pot. When the vegetables are cooked, I will puree the soup with my immersion blender, and toss on some chopped dill or parsley before serving with a few grinds of the pepper mill. Fast, easy, yummy, and as always, parsimonious.

Shana Tova to all my readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment