Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Parsimonious Dinner for Two

It's been a few weeks since my last post, but all the recent Jewish holidays have played havoc with my time, diet and parsimony. It's been a non-stop eat-fest and I've been enjoying wonderful meals at Yaakov, Rivka, Lea, Randee and Jane's homes, and now it's time to start eating mindfully again. Fortunately, I have a collection of great 1500 calorie-a-day meal plans from Women's Health magazine that feature well-balanced and delicious meals so I won't suffer too much while losing the holiday weight. I recommend these to anyone who needs a painless method for dealing with holiday excess; ask me, and I will scan and email you the pages I saved from the magazine.

A few weeks ago, I got to make dinner for Mona (and her little dog Lucy). Mona is a member of this blog, and she was happy to see parsimonious gourmet cooking in action. We started with tomato soup made from less-than-salad-worthy tomatoes, garnished with plain Greek yogurt (see the post "Less than Perfect Produce" for instructions). Next, we enjoyed a salad of sliced fennel with sections of fresh grapefruit, served with a few pistachios and pomegranate molasses vinaigrette. Our main course was a dish of whole wheat linguine dressed with a sauce of pureed Italian tuna (this is one of those instances where you spend a little extra for superior quality - buy Italian and buy it packed in oil) and lots of fresh lemon juice with a lot of the rind grated in. Cheese is traditionally not used in Italy in dishes with fish, but if it makes you happy, I won't tell. Toss on a liberal amount of freshly chopped Italian parsley and dig in. A few spears of oven roasted broccoli (again - it wasn't the freshest, but it was certainly great when roasted and dressed with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Dessert was a deep dish of sliced peaches and nectarine from - you already guessed - the reduced bin, and topped with oats, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter before being baked to perfection and served with espresso from my new Aero Press coffee maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment