Friday, October 28, 2011

What to Eat When There's Nothing in the House

After a few months of relaxing unemployment, I started a new job last week and within hours - literally - was back in the old groove of being so preoccupied with work, deliverables and stress that finding time to run, do yoga and of course, shop and cook healthy and satisfying meals threatened to go by the wayside.
I'm here to tell you that living a healthy lifestyle is not only an important way to be authentic to yourself, but it's also critical to your ability to perform well at work. There may not always be time for a run if you are a woman (you men don't have to factor in time for hair repair and makeup that can add an hour to a woman's schedule). But you can always find 10 minutes to start your day with a few yoga stretches and postures, and establish a mindful outlook for your day.

But, back to eating. Returning from a business trip, I had no time to go food shopping, but I was tired of airport dining (dining? that's a polite way to put it) and craved something nourishing and healthy. Foraging through my freezer, I found a container of cooked brown rice, and some leftover butternut squash. While these heated up in the microwave, I fried an egg in this cute little one egg sized skillet someone gave me, and after arranging the rice and the butternut in bowl, I added some cashews, laid the cooked egg on top and a squirt of Sriracha sauce. Satisfying and healthy, and I was sated until I can go out shopping later.

No comments:

Post a Comment